In 1167 Weil was the first time mentioned in a document. The place Weil belonged to the area of the Teutonic commander of the knightly order Mainau; it was part of the authority Blumenfeld and was added to Baden in 1806. From 1807 to 1857 the municipality was under the area of jurisdiction of Blumenfeld, then it was allocated to the area of jurisdiction of Engen.

An extraordinarily beautiful and at the same time one of the oldest buildings of Weil is the farmhouse in 20, Linden Street built in 1783.

The town-hall and school was built in 1904; it is private property today.